The setups I include on this blog are used in conjunction with the 3/10macd and the criteria I ascribe to it as a way to alert me to an existing condition of price. The key concept to take away from this blog is that I try to anticipate what will happen on the higher time frame by using a faster time frame to trigger the trade setup. I do not trade a "system" I use two indicators to clue me in to price conditions. Please read the Disclaimer located in the sidebar of this site. I can be contacted via email at toddstrade@gmail.com
I am always open to questions, comments, or suggestions on how to improve this blog.


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

keep the ball rolling

I'm going to keep the ball rolling with RIMM and the 2xbar concept, especially since it had quite a big day today.
This will actually be a good lead-in to watching momentum bar midpoints intraday.
Straight out of the open RIMM displayed strong momentum, whether it was short covering, long entries, a combination of  both, who cares.
With a show of momentum you can figure that people are looking to buy a dip of some sort (but the smart ones will only pay wholesale for it).  Looking at the first 15-minute and 30-minute bar of the day, the midpoints of these two bars was right around $56.
Price retraced after the initial impulse to $56.13 before turning higher.  So, what was $56.13? 

An important note here:  If I'm looking for a pullback to $56 and price doesn't make it that far, then I should be looking for clues of a potential turn-around, such as we saw once price bounced at $56.13, retraced, formed a higher low, moved higher and then broke out.  Oftentimes it looks like this:

Here are the 5- and 15-min charts:


Referring to the above charts, the $56.13 area was a "confluence" of things:
- It was Resistance for the previous day, as shown on the 5-min chart.
- It was also the midpoint of the second 5-min bar of the day (to the penny! which kinda blows my mind), not shown but easily visualized.
- It was the High-Low Fib. retracement from 11/4 to 11/9, shown on the 15-min chart.
- It happened to coincide with a 38.2% retracement as measured off of the PDC and the opening swing high (not shown).
  The point being, it was a "dip" perceived as being fair value at that time.  But I think the most important point is to be aware of potential support and look for a pattern that supports your premise, similar to the one illustrated above.

No comments: